How very cute!!!
Now that winter has set in, I am naturally gravitating towards hot foods. One of my favourite winter dishes (or all year round, really) is Vietnamese Beef Pho (pronounced “fuh”) – which is a dish of rice noodles with raw, thinly sliced beef strips that all literally cook in the in the delicious, steamy broth it is served with. The Pho comes with a generous side of mint, bean sprouts, chilli sauce and lemon for you to garnish your pho with as liberally or conservatively as you please.
A few years ago I introduced one of my good friends to Vietnamese Beef Pho. Over time, it has become a tradition of ours to catch up over a hot bowl of Pho. In summer we sweat but gulp it down faithfully. In winter we savour every warm mouthful. Our favourite Pho eating days are the ones where its raining and windy outside. The…
View original post 279 more words
GREEN KNITTED FUN WIG!!!!!! With Daisies on it!!! So making one of those for my wig display in our art show! Thanks for the idea!
Excellent knowledge to have!!
Mattress stitch is used to sew together the sides of two stockinette stitch pieces of knitting. It creates an invisible seam and is often used to make up garments that are knitted in pieces.
The most important factor in this technique is identifying the “ladder rungs” or horizontal bars of yarn. These are hiding behind the Vs of your stitches. So, before you begin to sew, gently pull your knitting until you see those “ladder rungs” they should look like the photo above.
Decide Where to Begin
There are “ladder rungs” between every stitch and behind every stitch, there are even some right on the edge of the knitting. Count in at least one stitch from the edge of both of the pieces you are seaming. You are looking for a column of stitches, close to the edge where the stitching is even.
Lay the two pieces to…
View original post 230 more words
what a cute little tea set!!!
We were nominated for the Liebster Award by Tremeducrochet…. Thank you very much!! What exactly is a Liebster Award you ask? Well, it’s an award given by bloggers to bloggers with less than 200 followers. It’s a really great way to help a fellow blogger get the attention that they deserve!
Here’s The Rules:
1. Post eleven facts about myself.
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set and create eleven questions for the blogs I’ve nominated.
3. Choose eleven blogs (with fewer than 200 followers.) to give this award to and link to them in my post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. Remember, no tag backs!
11 facts about us
Since we’re a business, I figured it might be better to put some facts about us and our shoppe!
1) The current owner, Karen, is the 3rd owner of this shop.
2) She has a son that lives in Australia.
3) The current manager, Carrie, used to be a massage therapist
4) Our youngest employee, Amber, just had her 18th birthday.
5) Our newest member to the payroll, Jill, teaches African Dance.
6) If we ever need directions in Russia, we can call one of our girls, Lauren, as she is fluent in Russian.
7) If we ever get lost in Brazil, we can call Jill, cause she teaches Portuguese.
8) We just moved to a new location, and have only been here for about 8 months. And we are still getting calls about it!!!
9) The official color for Hillcreek is pink, but Karen loooooves green!
10) We almost changed our name when we moved to the new location.
11) If we could have a store pet, we would!
Answers to the questions from Tremenducrochet
1) How did you choose your blog name?
The owner Karen and I (Carrie) were sitting around trying to come up with something clever and we were musing about how the ladies that always come in to sit and knit have always got such interesting stories to tell. We thought that it would be great to share some of those with everybody.
2) Favorite book?
Karen: Pillars of the Earth by Mary Kay Andrews
Carrie’s favorite book is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Jill’s favorite book is Marcus Aurelius: “Meditations”
Lauren: The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
3) Describe your perfect day.
Karen: sitting by the ocean in the sun with my family and close friends quiet beach please
Carrie: wake up and have coffee outside, read a book, go for a walk, enjoy a killer meal and end the night with a scary movie and some knitting!
Jill: Wake up. Make coffee and read the paper. Go outside and do some gardening. Grill some food with my daughter. Have a beer with some friends. Sit and knit.
Amber: “Probably April 25th, because it’s sunny and warm and all you need is a light jacket!” Just kidding, that’s from Miss Congeniality. Haha! I would say a warm sunny day that I get to spend at the park just laying in the sun and reading.
Lauren: Sitting on my front porch reading in the sunshine
4) Which is the best part of your day to do your craft work?
Karen: evenings, days are too busy and I am not a morning person
Carrie: I would say in the morning with a cup of coffee. If I had a nice big porch where I could watch the sun rise and the animals stir…. I’d be there with a blanket, some coffee and my knitting!
Jill: Evening, when I feel like sitting and relaxing.
5) Which is your best spot to work on your project?
Karen: knitting, on the couch, sewing and scrapbooking I have a craft room
Carrie: I think that mostly depends on the project!!! Lace is always best done in a room with lots of light and few distractions, but socks can be worked anywhere!!!
Jill: My couch.
Amber: in my rocking chair, like a granny.
Lauren: my sewing table
6) Do you like people to write on your blog posts?
Of course!!! We love having people interact with us!!
7) Where do you want to go on your next vacation trip?
Carrie: I’d love to go to the ocean as I’ve never been there!!!
Jill: Mozambique and Ireland.
8) Favorite quote?
Karen: too many to choose
Carrie: “Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.” – Westley, Princess Bride
Jill: “There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.” Hunter S. Thompson (Mahalo, Doc.)
Amber: “I don’t look back, darling, it distracts from the now.” -Edna Mode, the Incredibles
Lauren: “Because memory makes you hungry.” Charles Simic
Karen: right now, Maroon 5
Carrie: I am a huge Tori Amos fan, but she’s not a band!!
Jill: The Beastie Boys
Amber: Mumford and Sons, Jack Johnson, Bon Iver, and the Black Keys
Lauren: First Aid Kit
10) Favorite movie??
Karen: African Queen
Carrie: Princess Bride hands down!!!
Jill: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Amber: The Princess Diaries
Lauren: The Double Life of Veronika
11)Which is the best council anybody has given to you?
Karen: My father told me to never be afraid to take a chance. That has been the best advice for me in my career as it has been a successful one.
Carrie: No matter how terrible things for you are, there’s always someone near you who has it worse. Things can seem bad, but they can always get worse. That’s your silver lining.
Jill: Life is too short to worry about people who don’t value your friendship. You only have so much time to spend, so if someone doesn’t value you, they are not worthy of your time, or your friendship.
Amber: Smile and wave, kill them with kindness and even if they don’t like you, they’ll have nothing bad to say.
Lauren: My mom told me to be nice to everyone.
11 questions for you to answer!
1) What’s your favorite cookie?
2) How did you get started in the hobby/craft that you do?
3) Do you or would you consider making that hobby/craft a career?
4) Do you prefer to knit or crochet or do you like both?
5) What’s the most challenging thing you’ve knitted/crocheted?
6) What’s your favorite type of fiber?
7) What’s your second favorite craft/hobby?
8) Is there a local shop that caters to that craft/hobby?
9) If you could spend one afternoon with a person, dead or alive, who would it be?
10) Do you like your middle name?
11) What was the funniest thing you’ve heard today??
Blogs I nominate:
10) Lost in Knit
I love this!!!!!
Star Wars Alpacas
I HAD to do it! Love these 🙂